Monday, February 18, 2008

London Calling

I had to do the corny London photo with the phone booth, i couldn't resist. I stayed with some of my old roommates from Catholic in London for a long weekend and had a blast.

The first day I went to the sight that all three of my teachers could agree was the biggest must see for an architect in London. The Sir John Soane Museum. Soane was one of England's greatest Architects. He died in 1837 and left the house as a public Museum. There are collections of artifacts from all over the world and architectural paintings that Soane either collected or sponsored. The house itself is designed with artifacts of other building. Soane understood light and was able to light all the levels of his house including a subterranean "crypt." His dog is buried in the backyard, but apparently he would tell guests that it was an old monk's grave.


My next stop was the British Museum where I got to see pieces of the Parthenon that the British stole on one of their colonizing sprees. I also got to see the original Rosetta stone and took a rubbing of a reproduction. I sat down to try to sketch the addition which was done by the same architect who did the Portrait Gallery extension in DC, Norman Foster. But every time I would move my pencil a different English person would come up to me and start talking. One woman came up to me and asked me if I spoke English and started telling me about the old reading room but her accent was so thick I could hardly understand her, even though we spoke the same language. Another gentleman came up to me and when I spoke to him he was like "Oh, you're American, I can tell by your twaaang," I guess he found it necessary to tell me about my twang. And the last straw was a guy from Madrid who felt it necessary to tell me his life story, oh the people that museums attract (especially the free ones.)


When I got back to Christine's Flat after looking for sketch books and having a terrible experience on the tube, Jose had sent me flowers for Valentine's Day. It was really sweat of him, but only three were able to make it back to Barcelona with me.


I never realized how much the industry of London or of any city has ruined the pre-motor vehicle architecture that still exists until this trip. On my trip to Rome I saw it even more. But London was particularly effected during the Industrial Revolution and some of the buildings still haven't been washed. This one was washed but you can see how the recent air pollution has effected it.


A Modern attempt at an arcade near St. Paul's, I give it props.
Christine and I spent hours in the Tate Modern, which used to be a turbine factory and was converted into a modern art museum. It was a prime location in London, on the Thymes. I can't imagine what the area used to feel like before the old industrial building was renovated. One of the pieces is a giant crack in the floor that takes up the whole expanse of the museum. I'm not sure how I feel about it; I should research if there was already a crack in the original floor that was turned into art or if it was random, that would effect my opinion.

If London Bridge is Falling Down than City Hall must be Blowing Over
The Tower Bridge


Protected Graffiti; since it has a covering, there were some crazy colors of paint, including glittery silver.
It was fun to see all of the places that are written about in stories taking place in London. Harry Potter, Paddington Bear, Sweney Todd, Oliver Twist, etc.

My Hostesses for the weekend, Christine and Danielle and their friend from London.






London, I'll Love You Forever....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home